Friday, February 19, 2010

My First Blog: The Day of Practice

Today marks the first day I made the decision to share the practices that have changed my life. All of the books I have read, the classes I have taken, the therapists I have seen never amounted to anything until I began to practice. It is really that simple. I'm not so sure that even the kind of practice matters as much as practicing itself and on a daily basis.

There are so many paths to a peaceful state of mind, that to say "this" is the "one" would be purely ignorant of me. The reason is simple: Different practices appeal to different people on different paths. However, there is one general practice that seems to cross many if not all paths: meditation.

We all know what it is. It comes in various forms normally envisioned as a person sitting cross legged in a quiet space. Where the mind goes (or doesn't) is what makes meditation unique. For a simple starting place, I recommend the most traditional approach: focus on breath. Eyes may gaze slightly downward or be completely shut, whichever produces the fewest metal distractions.

Either way, the mind will surely wander all over the place in the beginning, and potentially even for many years I suppose. But the seconds (and if you're disciplined, minutes) that you are able to stay with breathing without any other disruptive thoughts, is the "sweet" spot, the middle ground, the true nature of mind. This is the only opportunity to quiet your mind as at night we dream and by day we dream some more or simply navigate to avoid accident.

Practice is the key. Give it at least 30 minutes for 30 days, preferably in the morning before you start your day. I find that early morning meditation sets the stage for the day.

Wishing you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment